- Introduction of participants through presentation of their projects.
- The nature of design and design research.
- Concepts, models and schools of design and designing.
- The nature and use of theories in design and design research.
- Design Research Methodology (DRM) and examples of its use.
- Task clarification phase:
- Defining aim, context, phenomenon of own project;
- how to find the research gap;
- formulation of research questions/hypotheses for own project;
- establishing reference models;
- identifying areas of relevance and fitting in own contribution.
- Research types and placing own project into the research type matrix. Systematic literature review.
- First descriptive phase of design research:
- Data collection & analysis, interpretation, drawing conclusions.
- Relating data collection methods to research questions/hypotheses
- Prescriptive phase of design research:
- How to develop knowledge, methods, models, tools.
- Visualising main research object(s) of own project.
- Evaluating own research results (second descriptive phase).
- Iterative development of the support.
- How to write a thesis or other publications.
- Reviewing articles.
- Poster session and feedback on posters.
- Your future life after the PhD.
All issues are treated using a mix of lectures, discussions, exercises (applied to own project) and presentations of results. Results of discussions and exercises are minuted and distributed to all participants (via Dropbox).